Jul 12, 2022 1 min read

Bahrain Payroll Outsourcing Alert

The Kingdom of Bahrain– Social Security Change.

The Social Insurance Organization (SIO) of Bahrain announced an increase in the contribution rates of Bahraini citizens employed in the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) region, in both the private and public sectors.

Social Security-Current change

Effective from May 2022, the employer contribution to social insurance for Bahraini nationals is increased by 2%, bringing the total contribution to 17%.

The employer contribution for the Bahraini citizen in the state where they are employed may not exceed the contribution that the state provides for its own citizens. Where the rate required by the SIO is higher than the rate applicable in the employer state, the employee shall be liable for the difference. For example, in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, the employer contribution is 9%; therefore, a Bahraini national employed in this state will contribute 8% to bring the total contribution to 17%.

Social Security-Future change

Effective January 2023 and until January 2028, the employer contribution will increase by 1% at the beginning of each year until the employer contribution reaches 17%, while the employee contribution will increase by 1% in January 2023 to bring the contribution rate to 7%.

The expected change is depicted in the table below:

DateEmployee rateEmployer rateTotal contribution
April 20226%9%15%
May 20226%11%17%
January 20237%12%19%
January 20247%13%20%
January 20257%14%21%
January 20267%15%22%
January 20277%16%23%
January 20287%17%24%
Mercans Recommend

Download PDF

Mercans Statutory Alert - Bahrain Social Security Changes
Size

777.29 KB

Most viewed posts

View all posts

Everest Group names Mercans as a Star Performer in MCP Solutions As...

The Everest Group lauds Mercans' service capabilities and strategic approach

Nov 23, 2022 3 min read

Libya – Social Security Contribution Percentage Change

The contribution rate has been increased for all nationalities including Libyans but Pakistanis are exempted.

Nov 23, 2022 1 min read

Mercans Increases Focus on Global Payroll and Carves-Out Recruitmen...

Mercans has separated its talent management and HR advisory businesses from its software and managed payroll operations.

Nov 21, 2022 2 min read

Lebanon – Amendment to sickness and maternity ceiling amount

On 25 October 2022, the Lebanon Ministry of Finance issued a decree to modify the ceiling amount for sickness, maternity, and family allowance contributions. The sickness and maternity contribution ceiling amount has been increased from 5,000,000

Nov 16, 2022 1 min read

IR35: An Ultimate Guide To UK’s Tax Laws

IR35 is a set of rules that are designed to identify contractors and businesses which are avoiding paying the appropriate tax by working as ‘disguised’ employees.

Nov 11, 2022 10 min read

Mercans’ Response to a Critical Flaw in the Widely Used Apache Comm...

Text4Shell Vulnerability Mercans’ Response to a Critical Flaw in the Widely Used Apache Commons Text Library A recently patched vulnerability in Apache Commons Text made headlines this week. This vulnerability, dubbed Text4Shell or Act4Shell, i

Oct 27, 2022 3 min read