Dubai Payroll Outsourcing Alert – DIFC Announce a New End—of-Service Gratuity Law
Dubai payroll outsourcing leader issues a statutory alert for Dubai International Financial City (DIFC)
Mercans has alerted its Dubai payroll outsourcing clients of End of Service Gratuity Law related changes. Effective from 1st February 2020, the UAE government has enacted the Employment Law Amendment Law No. 4 of 2020 for Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC).
The amendment introduces a Qualifying Scheme workplace savings scheme in the DIFC, replacing the current end-of-service gratuity payment regime that has been in place since the inception of the DIFC in 2004.
In accordance with the new law, employers will make mandatory monthly contributions to a professionally managed and regulated savings plan.
Employers will have until 31 March 2020 to enroll in a Qualifying Scheme, which DIFC Authority backed DIFC Employee Workplace Savings (DEWS) Plan.
Alternatively, employers may seek a Certificate of Compliance from the DIFC Authority for an alternative Qualifying Scheme under the Regulations.
Highlights of the new law:
- Employer’s Mandatory Contributions: During the first five year of employment, employers are required to contribute 5.83% and thereafter 8.33% of the employee’s monthly basic salary.
- Voluntary Savings: Employees can make voluntary savings contributions into a Qualifying Scheme on top of the mandatory monthly contributions.
- Enrollment: All new hire must be enrolled in a Qualifying Scheme by no later than the 15th of the following months from their start date.
- Accrued Benefits: Employees, with at least one year of service, must be paid their end-of-service benefits in accordance with the previous law for their service period until the employees’ enrollment in a Qualifying Scheme. Employees can request cash payouts of the benefits accrued under the new law or leave the saving in a Qualifying Scheme at a time of their employment termination.
- Short Term Workers: Employees on secondment in the DIFC, short-term workers, equity partners, and employees working for government authorities are exempted from enrolling in a Qualifying Scheme.
- Exemptions: Employers with a statutory obligation to make pension, retirement or similar contributions on behalf of their employees elsewhere, as well for employers who wish to provide a regulated defined benefit scheme to their employees that provide benefits in excess of the mandatory defined contributions under the DIFC Employment Law, are exempted from the enrollment of their staff in a Qualifying Scheme under the amended law.
What is a “Qualifying Scheme”?
The DIFC Authority has established a framework DEWS plan whereby Equiom (a DIFC-licensed trustee) will be the master trustee, Zurich are the administrator and Mercer will have oversight of the asset management.
However, if a DIFC employer wishes to use a scheme other than the framework DEWS plan, the company can apply to the DIFCA for a “Certificate of Compliance” in order for a different scheme to be certified as a “Qualifying Scheme”.
Accordingly, the framework DEWS plan, or any alternative scheme which satisfies the various requirements below and accordingly receives a Certificate of Compliance from the DIFCA, would therefore constitute a “Qualifying Scheme”.
A Certificate of Compliance will only be issued by the DIFCA if the scheme satisfies the key requirements of a Qualifying Scheme, including that:
- the scheme must provide for the payment of contributions by the DIFC company for each eligible employee at no less than the Core Benefits (rate shown above);
- the scheme must provide for the payment of benefits in the event that the employee leaves the company’s employment or service, or is otherwise entitled to withdraw their benefits (including where the individual reaches 65 years of age);
- the Operator, Administrator, Investment Adviser and the Fund Manager of the scheme must be regulated by a “Recognized Regulator” (where the regulator is not the Dubai Financial Services Authority (“DFSA”), the DIFCA will have discretion, in consultation with the DFSA, to determine what will be considered a “Recognized Regulator” for this purpose); and
- if the Qualifying Scheme is established in the DIFC, it must be a DIFC trust established pursuant to the DIFC Trust Law.
In terms of the investment funds into which contributions may be invested under a Qualifying Scheme, each fund must be established and regulated in a “Recognized Jurisdiction” – meaning in the DIFC or any other jurisdiction determined by the DIFCA (in consultation with the DFSA) to be a recognized jurisdiction for this purpose.
Each Qualifying Scheme must have a Supervisory Body (to appoint and oversee the Operator), an Operator (to be responsible for the overall management operation of the Qualifying Scheme), an Administrator (to be responsible for the technical, operational and administrative functions of the Qualifying Scheme), and an Investment Advisor (to advise the Operator in relation to investment options and risk profiles, and to help the Operator establish and maintain an appropriate investment platform).
We are your trusted HR function outsourcing partner, simplifying employment tasks worldwide. We deliver bespoke human capital management services and global payroll solutions to empower businesses across all continents. A borderless people engagement enabler, driven by technology and innovation and committed to make your teams happy, we ensure your consistent and sustainable growth.
Mercans operate globally, ensuring timely and measurable results, and bottom-line savings. Supported by 500+ payroll and HR specialists with in-depth local knowledge, our pioneering human resources consulting services and trailblazing SaaS payroll software, HR Blizz™ & Mesaar™, are already satisfying 5,000+ international clients, regardless of the size of their organization and their industry. Visit mercans.com
SIMPLIFYING EMPLOYMENT TASKS WORLDWIDE
Local Presence. Regional Strategy. Global Success.
We are a borderless people engagement enabler, committed to make your teams happy. Driven by technology and innovation, we pride ourselves in being global people experts with striking local presence. We deliver bespoke human capital management services and innovative global payroll solutions to empower international businesses.
We are your reliable HR function outsourcing partner, delivering innovative HCM solutions, along with cutting-edge human capital management advice, to ensure consistent business growth, regardless of the size and industry of your company. We develop SaaS software and outsource HCM solutions tailored to 5,000+ clients across all continents.
Mercans operate globally, ensuring timely measurable results and bottom-line savings. We employ 500+ payroll and human resources specialists with in-depth local knowledge. Thanks to success-oriented teams striving for excellence and taking care of your organization’s tasks within budget, we have gained the trust of major multinational companies.
Mercans Services at a Glance
- Global Payroll Solutions
- PEO/GEO Services
- Global Talent Acquisition
- BPO Services
- HR Management SaaS
- Local Statutory Compliance
Say goodbye to offshore call centers, legacy systems, fragmented data, and ENDLESS SLAs.
Mercans cloud-based SaaS products, HRBlizz™ and Mesaar™, combine the performance of proprietary technologies with a human touch. All your data are integrated into single platforms accessible from everywhere and on any device. Interact with local specialists, and benefit from tax and legal advisory services, without creating branches abroad.
Our cost-effective software products are fully-compliant, self-service platforms packed with smart built-in features for your peace of mind. They are compatible with SuccessFactors™, Workday™, Oracle HCM™ and MS Dynamics™.
- Fully-integrated HRM processes and data
- Centralized and automated global workflows management
- Compliance with local regulations and regional business protocols
- Mainstreamed payroll delivery for timeliness and accuracy
- Real-time data updates and optimization for quick reporting
Visit mercans.com now and contact us for a free consultation: +1-877-MERCANS